The Health Creation Alliance welcomes yesterday’s announcement of the new NHS guidelines and widespread review of prescriptions. We are glad that the government is responding to elements within our report – ‘Supporting the Development of Community Pharmacy Practice within Primary Care’ * – and we wait for further recommendations to be taken forward.
Mark Robinson, NNHSA Executive, Special Advisor – Medicines, Pharmacy and Medicines Optimisation, comments:
“We welcome the discussion about which medicines should be funded by the NHS. We see this as a mechanism to reduce demand in General Practice and encourage people to make better use of the clinical skills of their community pharmacist – a much under-utilised resource within primary care. We note that the list is just a draft and welcome the discussion on which medicines could be better managed through community pharmacy. It represents a sensible move when evidence based medicine is key and the NHS is experiencing increasing demand and severe financial restraint. This is just one element of our recommendations and we would welcome wider discussion on the report as a whole.”
Notes to editors:
- For enquiries, please contact: Judy Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 07717 691845
- ‘Supporting the Development of Community Pharmacy Practice within Primary Care’ –
- Health Creation Alliance mission is … ‘to infect the UK health system with wellness’. You can find more information here
- Health Creation Alliance has a goal to make Health Creation and health creating practices a core part of the UK healthcare system alongside a greater focus on prevention. We believe that this is the best way to reduce health inequalities and deliver a sustainable health service. Click here for a short briefing paper on Health Creation.
- You can find coverage of our Health Creation Action Summit here